1st March 2017. We have had several requests from customers to provide a way to allow Carbon cloth to be shaped by other Houdini solvers. So after some head scratching, we wanted to share with you a sneak peek of an exciting new feature we are developing for Carbon Cloth. This "Override" feature allows the cloth position to be overridden by the position of another mesh, on a frame by frame basis, in one of two ways.
1) Pre-override - where the target mesh is provided to the solver, which then attempts to move the cloth to the target position, but within the limits of the cloth mesh constraints. In this case the result is physically correct, but the cloth may not reach the target position during the frame.
2) Post-override - where the target mesh is used after the cloth solve on a given frame to move the cloth mesh positions to be the same as the target mesh positions. In this case the resulting cloth will match the target, but will not be physically correct and there will likely be some cloth mesh distortion. Also need to be careful not to infringe collision and self-collision.
The target mesh can come from anywhere and can for example be generated by other Houdini solvers.
Below is sneak peak video from our development test bed showing the Override in action.
We still have to figure out how to integrate this into the Carbon plug-in for Houdini, so it will be a few weeks before it gets into the product - but its coming....
21st February 2017 - We are pleased to announce that the Carbon Plug-in is now available for Houdini 16 on both Windows and Linux.
We recommend using Carbon with Houdini 16.0.528 or later, as earlier versions used a build of TBB with a memory bug in it.
18th November 2016 - Congratulations to Double Negative for the great visual effects in "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". Double Negative's technical artists are using Numerion's Carbon on a number of shows including, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Assassin's Creed and Wonder Woman. Visual effects being created with Carbon include hero clothing closeups, feathers and vegetation.
21st September 2016 - Congratulations to Change of Paradigm on the launch of their e-commerce website displaying 3D simulated clothing.
MIXIMALISTE brings you exclusive collections from coveted designers one at a time.
1st September 2016 - We are pleased to announce the availability of the latest Carbon Plug-in build, which has some exciting new features.
1) Houdini 15.5 now supported. Our latest build now supports Houdini 15.5 and includes both python 2.6 and python 2.7 support.
2) NEW Carbon SOP Simulation nodes allow you to run Carbon with the Houdini standard license (rather than needing the more expensive FX license). Also the SOP nodes are much more artist friendly. The Carbon SOP Simulation has initially a smaller feature set than the DOP equivalent (no Carbon Plumage, Actor, Draping or Joint nodes for now), and is a little slower, but is way more Artist friendly with the ability to directly paint parameters maps and select constraint points from the relevant Carbon nodes. There are links inside the documentation to the SOP examples when they are available.
3) An exciting new feature is the ability to use the Carbon Binding node between two soft objects (Cloth/Cloth, Cloth/Tetra or Tetra/Tetra), allowing you to add things such as pockets onto garments without requiring matching points or tessellation on the geometry underneath. Check binding.hip for a Cloth/Cloth attachment example.
4) NEW Carbon Welding parameters now allow springy attachments between Cloth and Rigid Body objects. The new Carbon Welding Actor/Soft mode allows to tether Carbon Cloth or Tetra to the world without the need for a Carbon Collider. Look at the modified welding.hip file for an example.
5) You can now animate the Binding/Stitching/Welding/Seaming/Draping point groups and parameters, so its possible to emulate effects such as tearing, temporary pinning, ... etc. Check out the stitching.hip file for an example of a tearing effect.
In addition we have added a few general fixes, and various other improvements to all our constraints.